How to Rent a Car
So, what you need to know about how to rent a car?
There are many situations, when you need to rent a car. Renting a car is one excellent way to enjoy freedom on holiday or business trip or when your auto is being repaired. When you rent a car, you should consider some very important factors.
If you are planning to do any traveling, either business or personal, you will likely want to rent а car upon arrival at your destination. All the car rental companies have offices in airports for your convenience. But, they invariably charge more because of their prime location.
Rental car companies have regulations and requirements that must be met in order for a person to rent a car. Some rental vehicle agencies will check a person's driving record the first time a person rents a car from them.
Image: Elliott Cable
Rates will depend on the type of vehicle, the time period, and things like agency specials. Cheaper rates will be for small cars with just the basic amenities.
The best way to get а cheaper vehicle is to rent the car in the weekend. Most auto rental companies have special weekend offers, so you can save money. There are also some discounts offered for those renting a car for longer periods of time, say several weeks or a month. Be aware that some agencies will have hidden costs.
If you are travelling alone then its better to get the smallest and hence the cheapest model. Other advantage to choosing a smaller vehicle is it will cost you less for fuel.
On the other hand, if you are planning to go with children or there are many people travelling with you, you had better get a SUV, a minivan or а large sedan (make sure that your auto rental provides baby car seats).
If you are going to rent the car for sightseeing, it is best to hire the car with its driver. It is especially recommended if you will rent in a foreign country.
If you prefer a vehicle with an automatic transmission, be sure to inform the car rental agency about it because some countries have more cars with а manual transmission as compared to the automatic.
If you are renting a car in the US, you usually do not need an international driver's license. Your license from your home country should be valid. That said, an international license can be helpful in proving to the agency that you have a valid license.
Image: Jube Wong
Understand your rental agreement. For example:
- How many miles are allowed per day? (if you exceed the mileage that was agreed upon in the contract you must pay the difference, which can in some cases be a surcharge of up to 20-25%)
- Is the customer required to refill the gasoline tank when the auto is returned or not? (mainly when you bring a rental car back with less fuel in it than when you left, you will pay a lot more than market price for the gallons)
- When you rent a car, look at the physical condition of the vehicle to check for dents, scratches, tears in the upholstery and other problems with the appearance? (you will be responsible for repair costs when returning the vehicle)
- Companies may include а surcharge if the driver is under 25 years
- Check also if there are incurred penalties for not showing up on the said day
In addition to your insurance packages and your long-term rental deals, look for companies that provide roadside assistance. This can help a lot, especially in the case where you are abroad and do not speak the local language.
If in doubt, consult the company's customer testimonials or feedback to see whether or not you are making а good choice or not.